Drew


I bet almost everyone is familiar with the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon series aired over Nickelodeon. A friend of mine let me borrow his dvd copy of the first book Water, and from then on, I got hooked. The series was a success, and as expected, a movie adaptation was announced.

It came as a surprise to me when it was announced that M. Night Shyamalan would be the director for the movie. I dunno but it gives me the feeling that he won't give justice to the movie, well putting a guy known for weird twisted endings to direct a movie adaptation of a popular cartoon series, isn't something really sensible. I just hope he doesn't disappoint this time.

Aside from that, there was some controversy over the cast. There was even a campaign to boycott the movie since they see it as a miscast and racial discrimination to some extent (all the heroes are white and villains Asian and other cultural minority in the US). I had my share of doubts as well with the cast, specially I think that it should remain faithful to the core material. The fire nation people are all white skinned, while the Earth and water kingdom are mostly dark skinned folks. On the movie adaptation, Zuko is Dark skinned (WTF), while Katara and Sokka were white...

I'm not a racist its just that for a series fan like me, I think it's annoying that the characters doesn't match, why change the race of the heroes? Somehow, for me it affects the integrity of the characters. Looking through the series, one would notice that the cultural basis for Avatar: The Last Airbender are mostly Asian, with a mix of ancient cultures such as Aztec and Mayan. I'm just really not satisfied with the way the casting was handled.

Another indication that it doesn't remain loyal to the core material are the lines I heard from the trailer stating that "Aang is all that remains of a once powerful nation". If M. Night Shyamalan watched the cartoon as he claimed he has, then he would know that Aang is an AIR NOMAD, which doesn't really have a FORMAL nation. They are free from borders and emphasize on freedom of the body and the spirit. Air nomads focus on PEACE and they are not show offs. Furthermore, they don't have their own territories aside from four Air Temples in each direction of the compass where these Air Benders train.

Here's the movie Teaser:


*Sigh* I don't know, but something tells me, that this might end up as a total disaster, something similar to what happened to the Dragonball Z franchise...

I just hope am wrong...
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I'm really looking forward to this movie!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    did u know theres a person tht plays the bak of aang's head? ya there is! i know tht guy i mean seriously not trying to brag or anything


Post a Comment